Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Oh fork, I'm in a Pickle


Well, as the game goes - I've been tagged. Now the rules are thus:

1. Post these rules at the beginning of the blog entry (ok - I can do this)
2. Answer the questions about yourself (also attainable)
3. Tag 5 People, let them know in a comment on their blogs that they have been tagged.

Okay - here is my dilemna. Margaret tagged me. And either Margaret tagged Kim or Kim tagged Margaret. That elimates 66% of the people I know with blogs. That leaves Mona Helen. However, being the team player that I am. I am going to VICARIOUSLY tag a few people who SHOULD have blogs but just like reading mine. So consider yourself tagged Jenny, Liisa, Nancy and Mom. And true, I am a rule follower so Mona Helen can read about being tagged in her next blog entry.

So...here we go:

What were yo doing 10 years ago?

Okay. Let's start with the basics. It's 2008 now so that puts us at 1998. I think I am off to a strong start here. I was in San Francisco, had been here for about 5 or 6 years. I was moaning and groaning about not meeting the right guy - that much is for sure. Working at MBT Architecture doing alot of the moves at Union Bank of California. All the while pleading with a bull headed manager (that my co-workers all hated as much as I did) to let me do more design work. To no avail by the way.
Also about that time had just finished a triathlon (Margaret - you were there too that 2nd year - hope that fills in part of the memory). 1st year was with Kim and 2nd year was with Margaret. Was still horseback riding in Moss Beach on Kimby.

Snacks I enjoy

1. Mushy gushy cake
2. Thin greasy/salty tortilla chips dipped in either spicy salsa or fresh guac that has a good hit of lime
3. Sushi - partial to the 49'er roll and the spicy (and I mean spicy!) tuna

Five things on my to-do list today

1. Edit to-do list so it is ONLY 5 things
2. Pick up my daughter's riding britches
3. Pick up my mother from the airport
4. Find something to auction to raise money for Kiira's pre-school
5. Make cookies for the easter party

Things I would do if I became a billionaire

1. Invest wisely
2. Set up "take care of you" accounts for everyone I love
3. Establish a refuge for abused/neglected/unwanted animals
4. Read more (presumably I'd have more time without having to worry about making any money)
5. Travel, travel, travel
6. Find out more about Africa and those (many) areas that need help
7. Craft my little heart out
8. Ride more

3 bad habits

1. Eating too many sweets and not excercising enough
2. Playing the "whose had less sleep" game with Alan
3. Procrastinating by organizing

5 places I have lived

1. San Francisco, CA
2. London, England
3. Minneapolis, MN
4. Ithaca, NY
5. Does Lansing, NY even count if I've already said Ithaca?

Jobs I have had

1. Interior Designer
2. CAD operator
3. Secretary
4. Dental assistant
5. Bookeeper
6. Waitress
7. Bagel schmearer
8. Horseback riding instructor
9. Milkweed puller-outer (ok so I was 9 yrs old - had to earn money for those ponies!)

Things people don't know about me

1. My first "design" job had me mingling with the Folsom prison inmates
2. Growing up, I wanted to be a veterinarian
3. I've done 4 triathlons and 1/2 trained for a marathon (I got a stress fracture and had to quit - got up to 13 miles though)
4. I've fractured my back twice falling off various horses
5. I never got less than an A in my "NYSMA" flute competitions and consequently made All State
6. My one and only fan letter was to Shawn Cassidy

Consider yourself tagged Mona Helen. The rest of you - you can just answer in my comments section! Ready, set, go!

3 comments:

Hana Solo said...

I'm flattered that you think I do anything interesting enough to merit a blog!

Okay, here we go...

What was I doing ten years ago? Well, I had just started working at a baseball card company in Dallas, and was fiendishly planning our sponsorship of the baseball allstar game. Also had some friends who were movie buffs, so I was probably seeing alot of movies, which I normally don't do, much to the amusement and amazement of the people I work with now. ("what do you mean you haven't seen Lord of the Rings!!!!")

My favorite snacks...hmmm... it occurs to me now that my favorite snacks aren't really snacks, they're more like desserts- ice cream, cookies, etc. Perhaps I should reevaluate that....

5 things on today's to do list.
1) answer these questions
2) watch world figure skating championships that I Tivo'd because I was working alot this week
3) grocery store
4) farmers market (to get veggies for Easter dinner!)
5) Pay bills
(See Heid, I really don't do anything exciting enough to blog about)

What I would do if I became a billionaire? Share, save, spend!

3 bad habits
1) I hit the snooze alarm multiple times when the alarm goes off
2) too much chocolate
3) messiness (oops- should have put cleaning on my to-do list...)

5 places I've lived
San Francisco
Ithaca
Austin
Dallas
San Antonio

Jobs I've had
marketing communications
brand manager
product manager
lifeguard
baby sitter
retail clerk

Things people don't know about me. Hmm...I was in a wedding at a minor league baseball game. I'm a decent knitter. I throw a pretty mean spiral pass, but can't catch (my nephew told me it would help if I kept my eyes open...), I make excellent chocolate chip cookies, I love crafts but usually don't have good results. I'm taking skating lessons, and getting pretty good at the crossovers. I was going to add that I'm a klutz, but I guess everyone knows that- its pretty obvious!

Okay Liisa, your turn. And you can't put "Walking into poles" under things people don't know about you...

Anonymous said...

That's so funny Jenny because my initial reaction was exactly the same "Geez, she clearly thinks my life is far more interesting than it really is if she thinks its worthy of a blog..." Comments on Heidi's blog will have to suffice.


10 years ago...
I was reaquainting myself with sailing while working on a charter boat in the Whitsundays and learning how to scuba dive. Yep, it was tough but somebody had to do it.

Favorite Snacks...
I'm not fussy. Whatever gluten free goody is available at the time. Ever since Heidi told me about her Easter cupcakes I've been craving cupcakes with tons of frosting....Thankfully the gluten free version isn't readily available here.

5 Things on today's "To Do" List:
1) Study/Complete assignments due on Friday
2) Banking
3) Follow up on yesterday's meeting with very interesting architect doing development in town.
4) Laundry
5) Buy humane mouse trap for raskly mouse in house.

Billionaire?
1) Stop dreaming about the day I have enough money to do the below
2) As my big sister says..."Invest wisely". Aren't you proud of us mom?
3) Share wealth with loved ones.
3) Set up house on multiple continents.
4) Ski, sail, read, learn, craft
5) Never stop travelling.
6) Donate to charities.
This list could go on forever.....

3 of Many Bad Habits
1) Procrastinating...Sometimes by organising (What did you do to us mom?) If I had a blog I would probably procrastinate by writing that!
2) Not putting clothes in hamper
3) Coffee. Although I don't consider this a "bad" habit. Personally, I feel coffee makes me a better person.

5 Places I've Lived.
1) Ithaca/Lansing
2) Boston
3) London
4) Airlie Beach, QLD, AU
5) Does a summer in Spain count?

Jobs I've Had
1) I too was exploited as a child and worked as a milkweed-puller- outer as well as rock-picker-from- paddock.
2) Official Hirvonen Family lawn mower.
3) Benetton Babe
4) Lace Lady
5) Multitasked in the Educational Travel Industry (No, this isn't a euphamism for travelling aimlessly through the world. I did work in different areas of an educational travel company!)
6) Multitasked in the charter boat industry.
7) Car parking lady
8) Currently learning the ropes (maybe blueprint is a better term) of the building industry.

Things people don't know about me...
Tough question as the people reading the blog are either family and probably know more than I do, or Heidi's friends who don't know me at all! (Jenny you fit into the former category)
1) I tend to forget childhood memories/traditions so if you want to know something about me ask Heidi or Mom. They remember the details better than I do.
2) At the age of 22, I told my boss at the time (Boston) that I didn't picture myself living in the USA forever (not such a big deal as it was the educational travel company!). 4 years later I moved to Australia.
3) My first "living abroad" experience was when I was 15. It was with a family who had a home in a a tiny town outside of Malaga, Spain called "Rincon de la Victoria" and a home in Valladolid. One of my most distinct memories of the stay was riding (horses) through an olive tree farm.
4) The older I get, the more I like being "American".
5) I've never been skydiving or bungee jumping.
6) I had casts on both legs for my first day of high school.
7) I joined the high school orchestra when I was in 7th grade.

Anonymous said...

1. 10 Years ago I was finishing my first year of business school and was heading to Manhattan to start my Investment Banking career (with my white German Sheppard named Bandai). I was about to meet the man of my dreams.

2. 5 Things on to do list. Sorry, but I don't keep a "to do list." They make me feel burdened. I like to PRETEND like I don't have anything to do. Also, this way I don't feel bad when NOTHING gets done.

3. Bad Habits.
1) Getting easily frustrated with my kids (especially when I am tired, which is most of the time lately).
2) Not Exercising enough.
3) Enjoying Gossip

4. 5 Places I lived:
1) Malaysia
2) India
3) Atlanta
4) Germany
5) Russia

5. Jobs I have had :
1) Bed & Breakfast Manager (in Malaysia)
2) Farm Hand (in India)
3) Accountant
4) Developed models to predict personal bankruptcies at Equifax (in Atlanta)
5) University of Maryland reprehensive on Army base in Germany
6) Waitress
7) Nanny
8) Worked on Pumpkin Farm (first job when I was in 3rd grade)
9) Swim Teacher (for 4 years...worked mostly with disabled kids).
10) Real Estate Agent Assistant
11) Investment Banker
12) Mom
13) Analyzed Portfolios of many Endowments (mostly Universities, but also OPEC)

6. Things People Don't Know about me.
1) I hate unloading the dishwasher
2) I often take 2 showers a day - hate to go to bed dirty
3) My left foot is a size bigger than my right
4) I love Cadbury Milk Chocolate bars, but I really don't like any other type of chocolate.
5) I should wear prescription glasses all the time, but I don't like them.
6) I used to be fluent in Russian - took many classes taught only in Russian in college and read those long Russian novels in Russian (can't speak a word of it anymore).
7) Talk on phone with friend Bethany for hour’s everyday (and love it)!
8) I was a runaway bride - Gideon was 3rd marriage proposal.
9) My dad is total eccentric and lives like a hermit in Arizona
10) I believe in Soul mates
11) I lived in a Buddhist monastery in Thailand for a month after college and didn't speak for 3 weeks during my stay.