Wednesday, April 22, 2009

In tune



Not long ago, we took the plunge and purchased a piano. People have asked who in our family plays. Well, the answer perplexes most when we say, no one. I grew up playing flute, Alan plays guitar and our children at some point will be made to play an instrument - hopefully of their own free will. We both, however, grew up in families that had pianos in the home. In fact, that was part of what made it a home to us. Alan's mother was an understudy pianist for the Boston Symphony so their piano got a good workout. My sister played piano a bit and my mom played as well. We were a family that liked to belt out a tune now and again and we weren't above trying out for various roles in school plays that mom would accompany us in practice.

My goal in my adult life is to learn the piano and I now have a tool to get me closer to that goal. Music in a home fills the soul and so our souls are now closer to being in tune with the whole.

We had to wait for the piano to "settle" before we could get it tuned. When we finally had someone come to tune it, Kiira was fascinated with the process.

No comments: