Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Day two - student of the week



The day started out a bit rough. Today is "show and tell" for the student of the week. Kiira's show and tell is Rainbow Sunny, our fish. Now, most of you who follow my blog know that I am not good with fish so needless to say I was a little nervous about changing ANY part of this fish's routine such that it could end up belly up.

However, the bowl that Rainbow Sunny lives in at home was going to be too heavy for Kiira to carry so I changed her out into a smaller bowl. I put some saran wrap over the top (with an airhole) so as to prevent two catastrophies. #1 - bowl spilling and Rainbow Sunny ending up in the Tiburon sewer system and more importantly, #2 - Rainbow Sunny jumping to her death (yes, this has happened to me). I was nervous on the ride to school but I parked and walked Kiira to the classroom to make sure everyone got in safely. There were many ooo's and ahhhh's as Kiira brought her fish in and her little chest puffed up so proud to be the center of attention. And points for mom, despite feeling nervous about letting her carry her the whole way, I let go and just gave Kiira the fish. This was her moment to shine and she wanted to show her friends how grown up she was without a hovering mom. As I thought about the pros and cons of letting go I realized that I needed to put things in perspective. This is just a fish. She is 6 yrs old. This is the easy time for me. It will be when she is a teenager and faced with much more difficult decisions that I should be agonizing over how much to let go. So for now, today, I let go of my little 6 year old and let her shine. And shine she did. Rainbow Sunny made it back home just fine.

Mom - well that was a different story. I realized as I was about to go meet a client at 3 pm that I had been wearing my shirt inside out all day. Hmmm....go figure. I guess it was a blessing that I made a quick stop for coffee.

No comments: