Saturday, January 16, 2010

Eddie Izzard



Ok, we don't get out much. Very few things are more tempting than getting a full night's sleep. Eddie Izzard however, is one of those things that can lure us out for some laughs and dare we say some voluntary lack of sleep.

We started at the Left Bank in Larkspur for some delicious french fare and then headed over to Oakland to see our comedien extraordinaire. As I said, we don't get out much. When we pulled in to park and were met with "That will be $30", we almost turned back. Is this what it is nowadays? Have we been out of the game so long as to not even know the going rate of things? I'd like to think that this price was an exception and things really have not come to this. So, as the car ahead of us turned around to go get more money to just park (cash only you know - who ever has cash anymore?), we proceeded to what I hoped was a gold encrusted parking spot. Maneuvering into the faintly painted lines of our parking spot (not gold I should mention), we followed the throng to the stadium.

The big question for us, which turned into a bet, was - will Eddie be crossed dressed or not? His signature seems to be that he is a transvestite English history buff comedien and quite frankly - I'd never seen him dressed any other way than heals and makeup. Wait - not true. He has also guest starred on several TV shows and the first time I saw him, I did not recognize him. He had normal clothes on. So, while we sat and pondered the meaning of tweeting (there was a large screen that was showing people's "tweets") Alan and I made a bet. I bet that Eddie would be cross dressed and Alan bet that he wouldn't. Like I said, given the fact that ALL his DVD's he has been crossed dressed in, I thought it was a safe bet. And by the way - since we DON'T get out that much - we got some GOOD seats. On the floor - 8th row back. No mistaking what he was wearing.

The time came - smoke billowed from the floor, music pounded.....anticipation mounted. Finally a door in the set opened and Eddie walked out. I had my "I told you" speech rehearsed in my head. Well.....perhaps I spoiled the outcome by putting the picture first. Of all things the guy was, well, how shall I put this.......NORMAL!!!

Oh well, many laughs later, a lost bet under my belt and the most expensive parking space in history behind us, we headed back to our abode to hopefully get a modicum amount of sleep - kids willing.

Ahhhhh.......good to be out. Can you believe we used to do these things all the time?! :-)

No comments: