Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Bye bye baby slash the fish died

Okay - what is it about fish and me? Ever since high school when I killed my best friend's fish - I'll just come out and say it - I do NOT have good fish karma. Mind you we have been on fish #2. I thought the fact that the first one died was kind of a fluke. After all, the pet store said that these beta fish will last up to 2 years. Good choice for me I thought. A hearty fish. Well, apparently I overfed the first fish. Ok - Pablo - RIP. Then cam Baniqua. She was smaller. I made sure only to feed her every few days. And only a few pellets at that. So, I gotta say - I'm not getting this whole death thing. Remarkably, Kiira takes it quite well. Perhaps it's because she doesn't quite understand what heaven is. She asks if the vet will bring Baniqua back from heaven. My response - no, I think Baniqua is having too much fun in heaven with Pablo to come back. That seems to buy me some time. Some time that is to get to the pet store and find yet one more fish. I will look for the heartiest. I will give them all a disclaimer before I scoop one up. "Come home with me at your own risk". But, we again will try this fish thing out. Gotta say though - I'm hoping third time is a charm, 'cause this is it. If it's not third time's a charm it's gonna be three strikes and mom is out!

3 comments:

Philomere said...

I had a pair of fish growing up named Romeo and Juliet. I didn't understand why they kept changing colors; my mom didn't have the heart to tell me when they died, so she'd just replace them. I finally found out the truth one day when she forgot to flush. Don't think it's you, okay? It's just a fish thing...

Liisa & Tom said...

I totally agree. Based on past experiences, I have a no fish rule because "All they do is die!" Oh, and they don't just die. Usually it's a long, drawn out, floating-upside-down-for-3-days-gasping-for oxygen-fluttering-their-fins-in-a-plea-for-help type death. Who needs that kind of guilt! I say stick with the cat and dog.

Margie in Oakland said...

What will you name fish #3? Hmmm...