Tuesday, January 20, 2009

44th president of the United States of America



Today, we see a better day. Barack Obama was sworn in as the 44th president of the United States (also one of my lucky numbers), the 4th youngest president in our history. I am here in Australia visiting my new niece Harper, Liisa and Tom. Watching on television, I see millions of people cheering, full of hope, as am I. 40,000 secret service agents surround the new president as he makes his way down Pennsylvania Avenue towards the White House. Will he get out of "the beast"? A couple ton bullet proof Cadillac that has 5" tires incapable of getting a flat. Yes, he does, and the crowd goes wild.

It is momentous for those even in the mix. Ted Kennedy collapsed at lunch. He has not been well but the sheer magnitude of this moment I'm sure contributed.

Today is a good day. Barack said in his speech today, remember "who we are and how far we have traveled." We do, and we will. He will carry us even further though and I'm looking forward to the road ahead. Bumps and victories.

2 comments:

rebecca said...

Well said my friend, well said.

Kate said...

As you know, I couldn't agree more. I'm so happy that Harper will have no memory at all of the other guy!