Sunday, February 1, 2009

Like mommy, like daddy



OK Jen and Deb - you are going to like this one. I just had to post a funny wipe out story. As with most parents, we all wonder what traits our kids got from us, from our spouse, even from a long lost relative. Alan does NOT believe that I have the wipe out gene, bless his heart, but it is apparent I think to everyone else! Including my college roommates who have an ongoing tradition with me of comparing wipe out stories (you kill me Jen and Deb).

Well, on this particular lovely 65 degree day, Evan and I had just dropped Kiira off at ballet. Our routine is to walk over to the coffee shop and get a treat for Evan and a coffee for mommy. This is VERY exciting for a 2 yr old. Right after Kiira disappeared into class, Ev broke into a jaunty jog down the side of the building. This is made out of decking. It is flat, no steps, no bumps, nothing to trip a guy up. If you didn't have the Hirvonen genes that is. About half way down the side of the building, there are floor to ceiling windows that look into the modern class that was going on. Evan had worked up some momentum at this point and as he gave a quick glance to the side to admire the dancers (he LOVES watching the dancing) clearly some sort of deck snake grabbed ahold of that little ankle and pulled the guy down.

This is where I think he got a little of Alan's genes. The guy did NOT hit hard, he did not make a thump. He did a dive, arms outstretched like the kid was sliding into home. He truly slid a good two feet. Really about his whole body length. It was all I could do not to cross my arms and yell out "Heeeeeeee's SAFE!" In retrospect I may have done that. It is all a little foggy now because I was laughing so hard. The little trooper that he is, he just got back up and started running towards that coffee shop again. Oh yeah, Alan used to play semi-pro baseball, hence the, "he got a little of Alan's genes" comment. Maybe he's a born baseball player? He does love to hold several bats at once and several balls at once.

Man, I am a SUCKER for that stupid physical humor kinda bloopers.

ps-no children were harmed in this semi-reinactment.......

2 comments:

Hana Solo said...

I can't decide if it's really sweet that Alan doesn't think you're a klutz, or if he's just in total denial!

heidi said...

It's denial.