Sunday, November 22, 2009

Mountain School visiting day


For a year and a half now, Kiira has been begging to go back to the Mountain School for a visiting day. She loved that school so much. There are days now when she says, "I wish I were at the Mountain School again". That just breaks my heart. While our public school is excellent and she is getting a wonderful education, it lacks wholeheartedly the magic and creative spark of our Waldorf inspired friend.

There are days I am torn whether we have done the right thing sending her to the public school. Am I making her grow up too fast? Am I exposing her to enough creative outlets? The answers, I am afraid, to these questions are "Yes" and "No" given the path in a public school. Is she reading beyond her age? Probably yes. Is she spelling and counting beyond her age? Probably so. But what is more valuable? She will eventually do the latter well no matter what but will she ever get a chance to do the former again?

I suppose time will tell and a parent's guilt never goes away for the "what ifs". We do our best, cross our fingers and try to compensate in the areas we feel our children's lives are lacking. Somehow that baggage just never goes away I am guessing......

No comments: