Sunday, November 1, 2009

Trick or Treat?








Nancy and Gideon's (or should I say Olive Oil and Popeye's) annual Halloween party was last night. It goes without saying that it was a blast. We decided that it was the best one yet. Why - we asked ourselves? I have been racking my brain since then. As usual, Nancy was super organized with GREAT goodie bags for the kids (including a trick or treat flashlight and a toothbrush) and delicious food. But what else? We hadn't turned the clocks back yet so it was nice to trick or treat in the light. The kids were older so it was a bit easier. All these did make for a nice night but I felt I just hadn't hit on why it was so good. Then it occurred to me that the people that I got to see at this party every year were friends that we used to see every week. These women and their families were my mommy's group when Kiira was born. Now because of different schedules, kids being older, work for some, we don't see each other as much. Alot of the women I hadn't seen in almost 4-6 months.

There is something about your first mommy's group. Maybe it is all the firsts you go through together. Maybe it is the companionship you so crave when you are an isolated first time mother. Maybe it is the encouragement you need when you are so unsure of yourself in that new phase of life.





As life goes on, we meet other friends, other dear friends. But there is just a special place inside of me for my first time mommy friends. I don't get to see them nearly often enough so when I do, it becomes even more special.

Highlights of the night:

Seeing old friends:





Enjoying our costumes:




Sprinting (literally!) from house to house for trick or treating:



Tired cowboy, ready to go home.

1 comment:

Kate said...

HLHW,

I am looking forward to meeting some other new mommies soon! I'm so glad you've maintained relationships with these special people! Thanks for the sweet post about this... ;)
Love you,
KT