Friday, May 30, 2008

Circumventing the system


Do you ever wonder if you've lost your creative juices? There are many times I feel as if my intelligence has taken a steep decline. There is a direct correlation to said intelligence and having children. However, I sometimes do find myself solving problems like I didn't think possible. I don't know about you other parents out there but our kids are constantly procrastinating, finding reasons not to eat vegetables and lately, inventing excuses not to take a bath. It's a good thing Kiira has short hair now b/c it is far easier to hide the grime. I think people think we are being trendy with no bangs on her. Quite the opposite. I am too lazy to try to control the bangs and the upkeep they need. There is the smoothing in the morning and the periodic haircuts. No, no, I cant' be bothered.

Back to the excuses though. I never thought of myself as cagey or even particularly prone to circumventing the system. I think there is newfound hope for me. I have now learned to disguise vegetables so my children will eat them without realizing they were eating them. I have now shamelessly pinpointed things they love and either offer or withdraw them when procrastination occurs. AND, my recent discovery, I can now get Kiira in the bath if she "doesn't have to get her hair wet". This shower cap I lifted from a hotel (see above note about system, yahoo!) has worked perfectly to perpetuate the notion that her hair is not getting wet. Truth be told, she forgets about a minute into the bath and pulls it off.

Ahhhh yes, chalk another victory up for the parents. There are many days I feel like I'm the one worked over but lately, ahhhh....I am going to bask in the sweet feeling of having a modicum of intelligence left to wrangle these sly little pistols into my way of thinking. Score mom and dad 3, tots 1. For now.

1 comment:

Philomere said...

don't get too excited about that score, I can assure you it's going to change...!