Friday, May 30, 2008

The poodle cut


So Calvin and I went to the vet today. We were due in to check his kidneys which are taking a beating from the heart medicine and the cancer medicine and the high blood pressure medicine he is on. Poor guy, he is a trooper still, downing a bunch of pills each day as well as a dropper of liquid medicine.
Well, on this particular visit, I noted to our vet that he had quite a few hair mats. I've heard that this can get particularly painful as it feels as if someone is continually pulling your hair. We decided that we needed to do something about it on said day. So, as I was discussing our options, a cute dog came in. It was just a puppy and I wasn't sure what breed it was. There are all these new fancy mixes and I thought this puppy could be one of them. I asked the owner and she said poodle. Okay, not as fancy as I thought. I replied "oh poodle".

Well, when I came back to pick up Calvin a little later after his first grooming in 16 years by something other than his own tongue or my hand, this is what I found. Clearly I had missed a question that the vet had asked and he must have thought my reply of "oh poodle" had applied to Calvin. So there you go.

Remember how I described those hair mats above - it feeling like someone was continually pulling your hair. Now just imagine someone continually pulling your leg. Yeah, that's me. None of the above it true but I thought I'd give you all a good story. The simple truth is that there were so many hair mats that they just had to shave them out poor Calvin. He does look pretty funny though doesn't he? Before the vet tech brought him out, she prefaced by saying, "Now, don't laugh..." Uh-oh, never a good sign. Well, at least hair grows......and he's lucky because I'm sure alot of older gentleman of the human species just wish they had this much hair at his age!
Go Calvie go!

3 comments:

Kim said...

Oh my Lord! Calvin is unrecognizable!!!

Hana Solo said...

Oh my gosh! Poor Calvin! It is pretty funny though...

How long does it take to grow back?

Philomere said...

This brings the notion of hairless cat to a new standard... hope he's feeling better, poor kitty!