Monday, May 19, 2008

To the point of my Title


Well, many of you may not know that I am not exactly grace incarnate. In fact, in one of my first blog entries I mentioned that I have a couple of friends that I compare wipe out/klutz stories with. In the recent past, I have been pretty lucky and don't have anything exciting to report. However, I have not passed on the fact that my offspring may have the same affliction as I.

Okay, okay, granted Evan is only 1 (will be 2 yrs old June 15) however, I can now say with certainty that he has some of my said klutz genes above. At home, he seems to be a multitasker. That is, he likes to grab several toys at once (grab aka clutch) and walk/play while holding them. Perhaps an older sister who likes to take things from him? Perhaps. Perhaps a male hording thing? Perhaps. Anyway.....perhaps it is because he is always looking for that next "grab" when a certain someone will come along and attempt to rip out of his hands whatever he is clutching (in that someone's defense, often it is something he has swiped from her and she is only trying to reclaim what is rightfully hers...) or perhaps it is just a head in the clouds thing. Again, who really knows. The result of all this multitasking however is a direct correlation between clutching and running into walls. Quite often my littlest will be careening around a corner, head turned back to see who is in pursuit and WHAM! right on into the wall. He does take it like a champ though and shakes it right off and continues his flight.

I really didn't think much about this trait until the other day when we were at Harbor Point Club watching Alan play tennis. Evan decided to go for a walk. Perhaps he thought it funny that I was following him. Perhaps he was thinking he was a Pied Piper of sorts and looked to see how many followers he really had. Whatever the reason, it was time enough for him to smack right into a door that was open at the fitness center. The whole front of the center is glass so people could see him coming. As his rather large noggin' sent reverberations off of the metal door, I distinctly heard someone say, "Oooo...that had to hurt." And honestly, for the first time, I realized that this was a trend.

Oh poor Evan, I'm sorry that you got that gene. Take heart though. Start keeping track at an early age and someday you will have a best seller.

I should have started long ago. Now they all blend together. Except of course for the one when I was pregnant and taking our dog Rennie to agility class (the irony is not lost on me here) and was teaching him to jump through a tire and well....SMACK! right into the pole that was holding it up. As Kiira would say (perhaps she learned this in womb) "now THAT is not a pretty picture lookin' at me!"

So this photo is really of Evan waking up but he kinda has the same look when he bounces off of walls....a little startled, not quite of his wits...and yet slightly amused. Yeah, he definitely gets that from me.

1 comment:

Hana Solo said...

Well, one of your kids was bound to get it! At least he didn't break his a@& falling off a swing!