Saturday, September 13, 2008

'Ode to the blog

Well, I am surprised to say that I've been doing the blog almost a year now and there hasn't been one story to support my title. I got one for you now.

While back east, we stayed at Ann and Kent's house. A lovely house in a wooded area of Weyland with a nice circular drive. While there, Evan liked to go out for a walk which we would happily indulge as the weather was perfect. Note scene of crime below.....



The day of the service for Ed we all dressed in our best which, for me, included a black silk ensemble of pants and long tunic. I brought shoes to match which are the wedge type - so, yes, there is a heel, but as many of you know the wedges are much more comfortable than your typical heel. Now...did I mention that Ann and Kent live in a rather wooded area? They have trees on either side of their driveway which on this particular day were shedding, what looked to be, little prickly nuts.

Miraculously the kids and I were ready before everyone else so we went outside to wait. Evan at this point decided that a walk would be in order. Good idea I thought - he'll get some energy out before having to mill about later. There we are, hand in hand, going down the driveway. Quite a pretty picture I was thinking at the time. Evan in his Monday best, me in mine. Well, come to find out, these wedges are not as easy as they appear for my heal landed on one of those prickly nuts and DOWN I went. Not just down-but down and forward as there is a SIGNIFICANT pitch to the driveway. It was truly like doing a one handed gymnastics move on marbles. One handed of course because I was trying desperately in my klutziness NOT to take down my poor little 2 yr old with me (have done this in the past when Kiira was 2 yrs - not pretty - just ask Jenny!). There I was, one hand down at two year old level, one hand up in the air and a knee down to try to balance (on a prickly nut might I add). I looked like I had just dismounted from some contraption and was hoping for a perfect score. Well, just as quickly as it all happened, I hopped up to evaluate the damage, hoping that I, indeed, did NOT have a hole in my silk pants. Lady luck was on my side and although that area is now a little thinner, there is no hole to speak of.

Ahhhh....just another day....not enough sleep...too many demands...and clearly not enough brain power.



NOTE: No children were harmed in this reinactment...note prop horse to avoid any such harm. Do not attempt this at home.

2 comments:

Hana Solo said...

Ah, the Heidi we all know and love! Klutzy, funny and a good reporter. I especially love the reenactment!

Nan and Gid said...

Could I request a YouTube/video reenactment? Too funny!