Monday, September 29, 2008

Still got it



Well, Kiira had our horse show this weekend down in Palo Alto. We did great. I think I decided to do this to see if I could push my comfort level a little and see where I was at. I have done a lot of shows as a youngster and did the intercollegiate shows (I was on the equestrian team in college) but I haven't shown since college.




If I look inside myself, I ride for fun. However, I am incredibly competitive with myself. I am not with others. But I do put a lot of pressure on myself to achieve perfection - even in those areas that I do for fun.

I was entered in the Rusty Stirrup division which is basically a division for those in their 30's and over. Fences were said to be 2' but looked smaller. Just to put things in perspective, I was jumping the same fences as the Short Stirrup group (those that are 11 yrs and under). Anyway on Saturday Orbit was being judged (hunter classes). We got a 1st and 2nd over fences and a 4th and 6th under saddle. Sunday I was being judged. We got a 1st and 8th over fences and a 2nd under saddle. All that put together made us Champion of our division. Kiira was thrilled to take over that ribbon.

Ok - here is video of our championship ribbon and the halter that I won. Mom thought she was taking a picture so bear with us here....







Kiira also did incredibly. She did leadline on Melody - a pony we borrowed for the class. There were three in the class and after a big build up of how things would be judged (age? form? fit of horse? control?) all three riders received a massive blue ribbon and a hobby horse. She looked so cute though and most important of all - she had fun.



Were it not for the incredible expense, I would do this again regularly! Alas, I think we will limit it to one A-rated horse show a year and pursue some of the (cheaper) fun shows at our barn.

All in all, I think I proved to myself, I can still do this passion and for the most part meet my inner goals. Next show though - higher fences.

3 comments:

Margie in Oakland said...

Yay for both of you!!!

Nan and Gid said...

Awesome! I so admire you for pursuing your passion and sharing it with Kiira! BTW, you look about 16 years old in these pics.

Hana Solo said...

Woo-Hoo!! You've still got it! I can't imagine doing a swim meet...