Monday, June 1, 2009

Kittens, kittens and MORE kittens







Today we became the proud parents of two little kittens. Ever since Calvin and Bullseye passed away I have been missing that certain little fuzzy presence in the house. Alan, however, was not having the same tug as I and it has taken until now to convince him on added bodies in the house. I think the final push was my begging for kittens for my 40th birthday. We had checked out kittens before but alas, these did not work out. So, I contacted Maine Coon Adoptions. Cal and Bull were part Maine Coon kitties and I like the fact that these are the dogs of the cat world. Not only are they big but they come when you call, visit when you have company and don't seem to know that a dog is bigger than they are.

Apparently we are just going into kitten "season" (who knew there was a "season"?) but all of the adoption agencie's kittens were accounted for. They recommended I go to a few shelters that they get their kittens and cats from. Long story short, I drove 1 1/2 hrs north to true country land where animals come in triplicate with no one to take care of them. The chances of all the kittens I saw being put to sleep were very high and my heart said save those that you can.

I surprised the kids with, names that would finally be settled on, Hawkeye and Lulu and we haven't looked back since. A few goopy eyes and a couple colds later (the kitties that is), they have melted our hearts and become a part of the family. Even Rennie has accepted them, despite their repeated attempts to snuggle up to his warm body and play with his tantalizing long whiskers.

Apparently they are nocturnal because often as I drift off to sleep, I hear them tearing around the living room and up and down the stairs. They come alive and explode with their abounding kitten energy. I love to sit on the couch and watch them jump and fall off of the chair, tumble over each other and run in circles around a feather on the floor. Quite simply they make me laugh in a slapstick humor only an animal can master. The unembarrassed try and miss, the fumbled attack and tumble or the spastic leap and spin only a kitten can do is something that people try to capture on film to watch and watch again. Only, we have it live. It just doesn't get much better than this!

No comments: