Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Not bad latke for a shiksa




..if I do say so myself. I feel like I'm in the world series of holidays right now. Thanksgiving came and Hannukah is on deck. Christmas is now at bat and if we've run out of a good time well then, Kiira's birthday on the 28th will be the pinch hitter to finish things off with a bang.
Yes, the first day of Hannukah was a success. Again, we reigned in the community for a nice dinner of salmon, latkes, Israeli salad (which I pilched from the Judaism for Dummies book) and some rather American (but quite buttery (ie oily!!)) cupcakes. The kids opened the first round of 8 presents. I'd say, all around everyone was pleased with the well picked, not too extravagent loot.
I will say my favorite part of all is lighting the Menora and saying the blessing. Each year I learn another word or two by heart and will hopefully have it under my belt before my eldest outdoes me. The Menora itself is special to us as Alan's sister and family gave it to us as a wedding present. Not only was the timing of the gift special, but they have the same Menora. I can't help but feel connected to the other side of the country and a new family that is mine everytime a candle is lit. Hannukah samayach all...

No comments: