Thursday, December 6, 2007

Memory Lane


Well, today was just a buzz of activity. Kiira and I, on Thursdays, go to Nicasio to a wonderful barn there called Kilham Farm. I am not sure of the heritage there but the owner is a wonderful woman named Lumpy. Yes, Lumpy. Now, with a name like that you would expect a colorful character with something of an accent. Well, how wrong I was! Lumpy is actually a down to earth soft spoken woman who runs and owns a barn to rival the best! The horses and barns are immaculately kept and the indoor ring is a blessing in the rainy season. There are yet TWO other outdoor rings to choose from. Now, I have to admit, I was looking for slick but somewhat hesitant about what may accompany it. I've had my share of snooty horse people believe you me. I tend to think that that crowd could rival the best snooty people anywhere.
I am happy to report that I've found the slick factor but don't have the baggage to accompany it.
I mounted my trusty steed Orbit today and said a silent prayer that after 6 years, my muscles would remember their duties while mounted. Although a bit floppy, I made it through my first lesson since babies. Ahhh....the muscles relaxed as did my mind and my form of therapy took hold.
All the while, my little one, not yet five, was mounted on her own trusty stead, Robin Hood. And SHE was doing magnificently. She has masted the walk. She can turn and stop. So, of course after only 3 lessons, she moved on to the trot. She was a natural. No really, I'm not kidding. She is really good and does not have any of the fear that I thought she would. Yes, she is cautious, but who wouldn't be of a beast that weighs 15 times what you do?
You see, my strategy here is...start 'em young. Give them something to be passionate about. Something that will distract them from all the evil our world has to offer the young. I know, I know, it sounds dramatic. But, seriously, there is alot of temptation to go down the wrong path. And, well, it worked for me, so perhaps, just perhaps, I can preserve my precious one's childhood that much longer. Life is long. Childhood short. Let's give them as long as possible to live in safety, good, and innocence. Let's face it, if you could go back - wouldn't you?
Attached - Heidi and my first pony, Memory Lane. I am 10 years old.

1 comment:

Margie in Oakland said...

great photo flashback! What a great thing to share with Kiira! So much better than yet another episode of the Backyardigans.