Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Kiira's third horse show



Kilham Farm had a fun show this past weekend and both kiira and I got to show. Since my handy steed Orbit is pregnant, I have been riding a nice big warmblood named Rhett. He is a handsome devil and I can't help thinking about Rhett Butler.

There were no walk classes which made it a bit tricky so Kiira entered the walk/trot over cavalletis class and had our trainer, Jeff, walk her over them. He didn't even touch the reins. She did the whole course by herself, steering where she needed to go. Alas there were 18 kids in the class (nearby barns actually trucked in for the show!) and she didn't get a ribbon. This begged, of course, a parental question of when is too soon to teach the, "you can't win every time" lesson. While I am a true believer in this, my gut instinct is that she is too young. She doesn't care about what place she comes in (although she has said on numerous occasions that she likes the color of the pink ribbon), but she does like getting A ribbon. Mom had to think of somthing, and think of something FAST because she just didn't understand why she didn't get a ribbon. It was confusion. So, I whipped up.....my ribbon. Which has worked for the time being.

Rhett and I did great. We got a 3rd in our equitation under saddle class and a 2nd in our 2'-6" jumping class. We entered the 3'-0" jumping class but didn't get a ribbon. I was good with that though as I thought we had a GREAT round and was proud of our performance. 3'-0" is the highest course I've jumped him and I entered the class mostly on a whim and personal challenge. I passed.

2 comments:

Margie in Oakland said...

Wow. Congratulations.

Max has a hard time not winning too. His sport is Wii bowling. If he doesn't get a strike, there's hell to pay.

Philomere said...

Hey! You could always go to the teachers' supply store and buy a bunch of "just in case" prizes...