Friday, December 19, 2008

Wack job



Ok, I admit it, I'm a wack job when it comes to keeping the kid's toys sorted. At the end of everyday (for the most part), I put all the toys back in "their place" so I can make sure we still have all the pieces and parts. There are a few toys that are precious to me and I keep particular track of these. So, you can guess my alarm when one of the pieces of said favorite toy (it happens to be a green wooden car that goes down a wooden track) DISAPPEARED!!!! Alarm! Alarm! Alarm! In my rational mind, I knew it would turn up. It's not like it's outside the house right?! How far could it go?!

So, in the meantime, I go on with normal life and wait. There's always something that needs doing and today, well today, I decided to finally tackle the drawer that wouldn't close in my closet room. I knew a shirt had fallen behind the drawer and in my zeal to retrieve it, I unfolded a hanger and tried to fish it out. The end result was not only the original shirt to retrieve but also now a hanger. That was 9 months ago. Today - well today was the day I was going to get that sucker. I got a BIG 'OLE barbeque fork and decided to just stab the CRAP out of it until I either made a hole and could slide it out or gently punctured it and could lightly lift it out. SUCCESS! Not only did I gently puncture it and lift it out unscathed - I retrieved yet ANOTHER shirt that had migrated back there to keep the first one company. I slid the drawer back ready to relish my success, only to find my efforts foiled. Ugghhhhh I sighed...how was i going to fix this?

So, I turned the flashlight back on and looked in. Clean sweep from one side to the other. Well, as I got to that last corner, my heart did a little flip flop and I did a silent hurray as what did my little early christmas eyes lay upon but THAT DAMN GREEN CAR!!!! Well, apparently the "silent" hurray wasn't so silent because Alan came in and asked what I was doing lying on the floor, in the closet room, surrounded by several odd tools.

After informing him of my conquest and worthy opponent, we BOTH were on a mission to get that DAMN missing car. 20 minutes later, one HUGE barbeque fork, one metal skewer, a roll of packing tape, a hammer, a flashlight and a bent hanger later, we claimed victory over that devilish wooden adversary. We successfully pulled that (damn) little green car out of the abyss.

And while I was fishing this DAMN GREEN CAR out, all I could think of was Evan sticking his little hand behind that open drawer clutching the DAMN GREEN CAR, dropping it, with a devious look on his face. And if he could have uttered one word while performing this evil little act it probably would have been "SUCKERS!"

Yup, I'm a wack job. But, may I add, in my mind, a successful wack job.

5 comments:

Margie in Oakland said...

IT is truly amazing what happens when you begin the search for just one little thing. It usually leads to hours of discoveries. Well done.

Nan and Gid said...

Your expression is priceless! Such a funny story. I am surprised you didn't find Kiira's blankie back there too. This leads me to believe that perhaps Evan is responsible for it's disappearance.

Kate said...

I LOVE that story. It sounds like some crazy thing I'd do as well... Merry Christmas!! xxxooo KT

Philomere said...

Would you PLEASE write a book? LOL!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.