Thursday, March 12, 2009

Tahoe



Coach Daddy (and Kiira's only request, "No lessons - just Daddy!"



The snow was taller than Evan



You get an idea how much snow we had!



The red lump in the middle is Heidi. It was VERY blustery this day. Kiira was not sure she wanted to ski that day.



On the shuttle bus to Alpine from the parking lot. All lined up. I felt like the Sound of Music when all the kids were lined up!

I know, I know, I have fallen down on the job of blogger and of humorous, informative anecdotal writer. I apologize! I am back on it and will try to jump in where I left off.

Tahoe. Ahhhh blustery, cold, glittery snow filled wonderland. We traveled up over the kid's "ski week" (along with all the rest of Marin County). Which cracks me up that they even call it ski week. It's like they just assume people are going skiing. I know, in fact we DID go skiing, but still, the assumption kinda irks me.

Well, we drove up on a VERY rainy day. Rainy in San Francisco means snow in the mountains. It takes about 3 hrs (you can make it in 2 1/2 hrs without the snack breaks, potty stops and general delays a husband makes - oh just kidding - the kids, the kids!!! I just like to check to see if Alan reads this every now and then! :-) ) Even though we have four wheel drive, we still needed to put on chains over the pass. I will say though that having lived on the east coast the better part of my life - their requirements for chains is quite wussy. I am always thinking to myself, "Self, I have driven/fishtailed MUCH steeper hills than this without chains".

We rented a house with two other families right near Alpine. Alpine Meadows is a great place to take the kids. It is so family friendly. We had a total of 8 adults and 8 kids in the house and it was LOUD. The kids had a blast - the older ones got to sleep in a room together and the chatting into the night was contagious. They were tired but game for all the skiing, sledding, snowball fights and snowman creations. We adults each cooked a different night and did take out one night.

The first two days were blizzard conditions and while it made for GREAT snow, the kids didn't enjoy skiing in it as much. The second two days were sunny and incredible skiing with INCREDIBLE powder. I even got to ski a day (vs. stay at the house and watch Evan) thanks to our friend's nanny watching Evan one afternoon.

A great time had by all and consensus was that we'd all do it again next year!

You can check out more photos of the week here and here (sorry I had to do it in two parts).

No comments: