Thursday, October 9, 2008

Gingrich vs. Reich



Well, Nancy and I got tickets to the Marin Speaker Series and one of the tickets was to see a debate between Newt Gingrich and Robert Reich. One, decidedly Republican and one, decidedly, Democrat. I was expecting much more sparring but it was quite civilized.

Reich was actually REALLY funny and Gingrich was much nicer and open than I expected. Although I think I enjoyed hearing Reich speak more, I think alot of that had to do with the fact that he is an economist. With that came alot of statistics which I think I overall respond well to. Newt's background is history and while I found this fascinating at times, it didn't give me the "hmmmm...." moments that Reich did.

In sum, Reich was for regulation and bottom up economic plans. Big surprise there. Newt surprised me by saying that he thought that the current Secretary of the Treasury should resign bc he is in WAY over his head. He also surprised me with a few of his ideas which revolved around spending money on health care reform - specifically preventative care and research. Something that our country desperately needs.

I think Newt realized that he couldn't win in the Marin Democratic crowd and decided to preach on what he knew we all would like. Overall, an enjoyable night I have to say.

Tick tock...tick tock....that of course is the time running out for America to wise up and vote Obama.

No comments: