Thursday, August 21, 2008

A board member

This year Alan has been asked to be a member of the board at our temple, Rodef Sholom. Alan is a very humble soul though and while it is an honor to be asked, he has approached it with a funny grin on his face that says "Why pick me?". Although hesitant, Alan agreed and is slowly working into a rhythm as to who does what, the process, and generally an end goal. Deep down I think it pleases him to be able to give this way.

We went to a "social" for the board the other night and although a good deal of the folks are much older than we are, they are one of the most gleefull bunch of people I have yet to meet. Granted there was wine at the event and we got there on the late side but I'm inclined to give everyone the benefit of the doubt and say they are just naturally full of glee!

Although we have a nice circle of friends it is lovely to expand the circle with yet another form of community. Our friend Nancy is inspiration to us as she delivers challah to people on Friday mornings. I happened to take one from her last week and Kiira and I delivered it to someone in our neighborhood who was not feeling well. Nancy takes her daughter June on these deliveries and as Kiira accompanied me I couldn't help but think that Nancy was onto something here. For lack of better terms - I had a warm fuzzy. Starting to teach the kids about giving at a young age. Now that's a lesson that you are never too young or old to learn.

No comments: