Friday, August 1, 2008

How much is your hair worth?

Ok, Jenny and I are in Brooklyn, NY right now for our college friend Deb Snoonian's wedding. Although we weren't on the same red eye flight out last night, we have already found ample time to yack it up. After a nap this morn, we went out for the 2 pm breakfast in NY. Over breakfast, pancakes of course, we talked about everything under the sun. Turns out Hilary Clinton and a team of 8 secret service men were on Jenny's flight (darn it - I NEVER see anyone famous! Geez.....Uma Thurman anyone?). This of course got a "only dogs can hear that noise" squeal from me. Just once, just once, I wanna see someone famous (okay, twice, b/c I do owe credit to my good friend Kim who, on her coat tails got me into see Benjamin Bratt - oh la la!!).

One of our topics thus far has been, how much is your hair worth to you? To give due credit, it was actually a guy at Jenny's work that first posed this question. Specifically, he asked if Jenny would "shave her head for $5,000". Her answer - HELL NO! So we got talking, how much would it take? $20,000 we asked each other. The answer again - NO. As sad as it sounds, $5,000 or even $20,000 just doesn't go as far as it used to anymore. Don't get me wrong - it's still a good amount of money and I'd take it willingly if anyone offered me. Jenny, however brought up a good distinction. The amount of money has to be life altering. So what is that to you? This is another interactive one - feel free to post your thoughts in "comments".

My answer after a bit of internal debate was a year's worth of college. By the time my kids go to college, a year will cost us about $100,000 - if they choose the private route. It will possibly be lower if they choose a state school. And geez, by having the 529 savings plan for college - we can almost pay for a year of college off of the interest it potentially could make. That's a good deal. But I stray....

My answer, a solid $100,000. Yes, that is life altering to me. And you? What is life altering to you? FYI - Jenny answer: a solid three years of salary as that is how long her hair would take to grow back to the existing length she guessed. Which may be about how long it would take before she wanted to go out in public again.

Gotta love those girlfriend chats. Stay tuned for more antics. Pictures will have to be posted when I get back though!

4 comments:

Nan and Gid said...

I guess I am cheap. I'd take $10,000 or a new car (even a cheap prius). I would go on vacation with the money.

So glad for the update on your travels. I missed you for lunch today.

Nan and Gid said...

How are you blogging from NY? Did you bring your computer? Hanging out in internet cafes? Or does NY have computers on street corners now?

Let me know if you want to pay me to shave my head.

Kim said...

I, too, am cheap. I would shave my head in a heartbeat for ... hmm ... $20,000. Cheaper for a good cause. Anyone offering?

Margie in Oakland said...

$10K and a nice head scarf. Hair grows all too quickly for this girl.