Saturday, August 30, 2008

Edward White 1924-2008

Alan's dad passed away two nights ago. We are heading out Sunday for Boston. He'll have a service on Monday and then the family will gather for the Jewish tradition of shiva. I've never been to a shiva but I can imagine what one for Ed White will be.

He was a character always with a good story and a kind word. Quick to help out if someone needed him (or even if they didn't) and the kind of eyes that always seemed to be smiling at you. Bright blue - he passed these on to Evan.

He always made me feel welcome in the family. In fact, he didn't even see it as welcoming me. He made me a PART of the family. I was very lucky to have such a wonderful father in law and he will be greatly missed.

If we could choose to infuse any humor in this (which Ed would have liked) - following Kiira's theory of "where is heaven", if heaven is somewhere near Berkeley, we can be thankful that as least he is closer to where we live now! :-)

3 comments:

rebecca said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Alan's dad. My thoughts are with you and the White family. Love Rebecca

Margie in Oakland said...

So sorry to hear the news. Have a safe trip, Love to you all.

Kate said...

Please let Alan know that we're thinking of him. And of you, too, of course. Alan's dad was a lot of fun!
xxoo
KT